GE spins off healthcare unit as a standalone company

GE Healthcare will operate as an independent company focusing on clinical decision support and precision health (Getty/josefkubes)

GE Healthcare will become standalone company following a year-long strategic review by General Electric CEO John Flannery.

The healthcare spinoff will be completed in the next 12-18 months, GE said in an announcement on Tuesday. It comes less than three months after the company sold off its health IT unit for $1 billion.

Keiran Murphy, who currently serves as GE Healthcare’s president and CEO, will continue in his role at the independent company. GE expects to cash out 20% of its interest in the healthcare business and distribute the remaining 80% to shareholders.

Conference

13th Partnering with ACOS & IDNS Summit

This two-day summit taking place on June 10–11, 2019, offers a unique opportunity to have invaluable face-to-face time with key executives from various ACOs and IDNs from the entire nation – totaling over 3.5 million patients served in 2018. Exclusively at this summit, attendees are provided with inside information and data from case studies on how to structure an ACO/IDN pitch, allowing them to gain the tools to position their organization as a “strategic partner” to ACOs and IDNs, rather than a merely a “vendor.”

The company also plans to allocate $18 billion in debt and pension obligations to the healthcare company.

RELATED: GE Healthcare sells off health IT unit for $1B

“GE Healthcare’s vision is to drive more individualized, precise and effective patient outcomes,” Murphy said in a statement. “As an independent global healthcare business, we will have greater flexibility to pursue future growth opportunities, react quickly to changes in the industry and invest in innovation. We will build on strong customer demand for integrated precision health solutions and great technology with digital and analytics capabilities as we enter our next chapter.”

GE Healthcare recorded $19 billion in revenue in 2017, with an operating profit of $3.5 billion. On an investor call, Murphy said the company would maintain core offerings in imaging and diagnostics while “continuing to invest heavily in digitization and automation.”

RELATED: Partners HealthCare looks to develop—and commercialize—artificial intelligence

He added the newfound independence will allow the company to move faster and to keep pace with growth in the digital technology sector to assist with clinical decision-making. The company plans to scale precision health offerings through “disciplined, bolt-on acquisitions with prudent divestitures” while making investments in AI and machine learning.  

On an investor call, Flannery said separating the healthcare unit would “likely lead to a reduction in the aggregate GE dividend.” GE Healthcare’s new board of directors plans to determine its dividend policy once the spinoff is complete.

Suggested Articles

The FTC is suing health IT company Surescripts, accusing the company of employing illegal vertical and horizontal restraints in order to maintain its…

Boston-based Athenahealth is laying off a portion of its workforce to “decrease bureaucracy and consolidate capabilities" as part of a reorganization.

The Trump administration wants to allow state Medicaid programs test new models of integrated care to treat dual eligible beneficiaries.