Fred Rahmanian, Geneia Chief Technology Officer
Health plans are increasingly choosing to integrate remote patient monitoring into existing care management programs for chronically-ill patients. That’s because there’s a growing body of clinical research showing it works to improve outcomes and decrease unnecessary costs.
At Geneia, we validated these results for one of our health plan clients, and demonstrated improved outcomes and a 50 percent reduction in medical spend for members with a heart failure diagnosis. Specifically, the Geneia @Home℠ program:
- Reduced Hospitalizations: Hospital admissions declined 76 percent for monitored members and 31 percent for the control group.
- Lowered Costs: Per member per month (PMPM) medical spend was 50 percent less for monitored members.
- Slowed Disease Progression: As measured by patient risk scores, the risk score of monitored members increased 29 percent compared to an increase of 58 percent for the control group.
- Increased Medication Adherence: Pharmacy costs increased 18 percent for monitored members indicating a higher level of adherence to the care plan.
- Improved Member Experience: Program participants reported an overall satisfaction rate of 96 percent.
Best Practices: Selecting the Right Chronically-Ill Health Plan Members for a Successful Remote Patient Monitoring Program
Given the investment health plans are making to create effective remote patient monitoring programs that replicate Geneia’s success in improving outcomes, member health and cost, it is critical to identify members best suited to this kind of care management intervention. Based on our experience working with health plans to implement and manage remote patient monitoring programs, we created a list of best practices for selecting the subset of chronically-ill members most likely to participate in and benefit from a program.
Undoubtedly, the clinical assessment of members is vital, but increasingly so is the use of predictive analytics. At Geneia, we recommend using predictive analytics to not only select the base cohort but also to narrow the list to the most suitable members and to determine the most effective path for outreach to the identified members.
To read our full list, download our best practices today.
Geneia LLC is a healthcare analytic solutions and services company that focuses on improving systems to support personalized, patient-centered care. We help clients improve outcomes, lower costs and restore the Joy of Medicine to physician practice. Our technology, education and training, insights and clinical services simplify the evolution to value-based care and drive alignment and collaboration among healthcare providers, health plans and employers. The company has offices in Harrisburg, PA and Manchester, NH. To learn more, visit Geneia.com (https://www.geneia.com) or connect with us on Twitter and LinkedIn.