UnitedHealth Group, Equian
- Type of deal: Acquisition
- Announcement date: Informally announced June 21, 2019
- Close date: September 2019
- Deal value: $3.2 billion
- Name of new company: Equian retains its branding as part of Optum
- Headquarters of combined company: Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- Leadership of combined company: Andrew Witty, CEO of Optum
What's the latest? UnitedHealth was a busy buyer in the summer of 2019, and its purchase of payments firm Equian is the healthcare giant’s second appearance on our list. Equian is another entity that will be folded into the company’s Optum subsidiary.
Equian offers payment processing services to healthcare organizations and touts its ability to mitigate overpayment errors. The company processes $500 million in claims each year.
UnitedHealth never formally confirmed the Equian acquisition, but Optum CEO Andrew Witty did mention it at an investor conference. The deal closed by mid-September 2019, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported.