UnitedHealth Group, DaVita Medical Group
- Type of deal: Acquisition
- Announcement date: Dec. 6, 2017
- Close date: June 19, 2019
- Deal value: $4.3 billion
- Name of new company: DaVita Medical Group will be absorbed into OptumCare, UnitedHealth subsidiary Optum’s provider arm
- Headquarters of combined company: Eden Prairie, Minnesota
- Leadership of combined company: Andrew Witty, CEO of Optum
What's the latest? UnitedHealth closed its purchase of DaVita Medical Group this summer after delays in the regulatory approval process pushed back the close from its expected first-quarter window. It will combine the medical group into OptumCare, the provider arm of its diverse and massive Optum subsidiary.
As part of the deal, HealthCare Partners Nevada, the medical group’s primary care practice in southern Nevada, will become part of Intermountain Healthcare, resolving competition concerns from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
UnitedHealth Group dropped the price of the deal from $4.9 billion in December as a result of business performance and in an effort to speed up the delayed FTC approval.