Partners HealthCare, Care New England Health System
- Other involved companies: Lifespan, Brown University
- Type of deal: Failed acquisition
- Announcement date: April 19, 2017
- Breakup date: June 4, 2019
- Deal value: Financial terms were not disclosed
What's the latest? Partners HealthCare, the largest health system in Massachusetts, and Care New England Health System, Rhode Island’s second-largest health system, ended their merger talks in June after more than two years of negotiation.
Brown University also got involved due to its own interest in acquiring Care New England. Ultimately, Rhode Island Gov. Gina Raimondo stymied the deal by requesting Care New England explore a “unified, local system” with Brown and Lifespan.
Talks between Care New England and Lifespan have also been acrimonious, according to reports. Letters obtained by the Boston Globe detailed a tense back-and-forth between the systems’ CEOs.