Anthem, Beacon Health Options
- Type of deal: Acquisition
- Announcement date: June 6, 2019
- Close date: Pending, expected to close in Q4 2019
- Deal value: Financial terms were not revealed
- Name of new company: Beacon will operate as an integrated team within Anthem’s Diversified Business Group
- Total number of employees of combined company: About 68,700
- Headquarters of combined company: Indianapolis, Indiana
- Leadership of combined company: Russell C. Petrella, Ph.D., Beacon’s CEO, will take a leadership role within Anthem’s Diversified Business Group.
What's the latest? Beacon Health Options, the country’s largest independent behavioral health provider, offers care to 36 million people across all 50 states, with 3 million enrolled in a risk-based model.
Anthem said in June that the acquisition aligns with its broader goals of expanding to the provider space and offering more integrated services. Should the deal be finalized, Beacon will be combined with Anthem’s existing behavioral health business.
Anthem expects that the deal will allow both companies to more effectively harness data and grow clinical expertise.