First-ever Wellness Week, in New York, will lead up to the inaugural United Nations High-Level Summit on Non-Communicable Diseases
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s largest health care companies, is partnering with The New York Academy of Medicine (NYAM), City College of New York (CCNY), the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO), and the World Economic Forum in an effort to promote well-being activities at the first-ever 2011 Wellness Week in New York.
The events of the week will lead up to a gathering of delegates – including heads of state and heads of government – at the inaugural United Nations High-Level Summit on Non-Communicable Diseases. It is the first time in the United Nations’ 66-year history that the organization has sponsored a high-level summit on non-communicable diseases such as diabetes, heart disease and lung cancer.
“Humana will be bringing some of our most innovative and motivating health resources to highlight our commitment to helping people achieve lifelong well-being,” said Raja Rajamannar, Humana’s chief innovation and marketing officer. “We are focused on helping to get the message out to people that healthy behaviors can be fun.”
During Wellness Week, Humana is sponsoring a free bike-sharing program in partnership with “Bike and Roll.” People can visit the Humana interactive well-being station at Columbus Circle anytime between the hours of 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Friday through Sunday, September 16 – 18, to pick up a voucher for a free one-hour bike ride through Central Park – an excellent way for New Yorkers and tourists alike to enjoy the beginning of fall and get some healthy exercise.
At Columbus Circle, visitors can try out one of Humana’s stationary smoothie bikes – equipped with blenders powered by pedaling – to find out how many calories they can burn while cycling their way to a delicious and healthy smoothie.
Humana will also be demonstrating several of its latest and most innovative wellness platforms, developed through the company’s own Innovation Center. People who attend the event can learn more about the following:
- HumanaFit – an online portal that allows people to track and improve their fitness goals
- Famscape – an interactive online game that encourages families to keep track of and celebrate healthy behaviors
- Urban Fit Bike – a new prototype of bike that encourages ultimate fitness and helps riders maximize the health benefits they obtain from biking.
People who are interested to learn more about Wellness Week and the activities underway can visit the following online information sites.
- Official website: http://new.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5705&Itemid=4097&lang=en
- Official blog: http://new.paho.org/blogs/wellnessweek/
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/PAHONCDs
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/NCDs_PAHO
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
Humana Corporate Communications
Jim Turner, 502-580-3221
KEYWORDS: United States North America Kentucky New York
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Fitness & Nutrition Professional Services Insurance Managed Care