Mobile wellness center launched at Humana Challenge golf tournament makes next stop at Shell Houston Open this weekend
HUMBLE, Texas--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM), one of the nation’s leading health care companies, is bringing its Humana Well-Being Tour – a national mobile health initiative – to the Shell Houston Open PGA TOUR event this weekend.
This marks the first stop for the Tour since it debuted at the Humana Challenge PGA TOUR golf tournament in partnership with the William J. Clinton Foundation in January. The Humana Well-Being Tour is a mobile display featuring a variety of Humana innovations that provide a fresh perspective on healthy living.
The Humana Challenge features lifelong well-being as its theme, challenging players, spectators and the general public to improve their health by making positive changes in diet, exercise and lifestyle.
At the January tournament, more than 12,000 pedometers were distributed – mostly from the Well-being Tour – to fans, players and the general public as part of the innovative Humana WalkitSM program. Walkers accumulated 84 million steps, which resulted in a significant donation to local charities from The Humana Foundation. In addition, tournament week featured a “Health Matters” conference conducted by the Clinton Foundation with President Bill Clinton delivering the keynote address.
Following the Shell Houston Open, the Tour will continue across the country for seven months, on a mission to challenge and inspire people to live life fully.
“At Humana, we’re committed to making healthy things fun and fun things healthy,” said Mike McCallister, Humana’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “By creating the Well-Being Tour, our goal is to reach as many individuals as possible in fulfillment of our dream – to help people achieve lifelong well-being.”
Activities on the Humana Well-Being Tour are designed to engage and educate consumers through innovative, fun ways to be healthy. These include:
- Walkit: Attendees will receive a free pedometer with an RFID tag through the HumanaFit program to track their steps during the tournament and beyond.
- Humana Biometrics Stations: Participants will visit one of four (non-invasive) biometric screening stations to receive personalized health results and ask questions of qualified professionals.
- Xbox Kinect: Fans will experience the Humana co-branded Xbox Kinect “Your Shape” game that demonstrates how being healthy can also be fun.
- Photo Station: Visitors will share physical feats using green screen technology.
- Well-Being Wall: Participants will join in a living collage by sharing personal definitions of well-being.
As with the Humana Challenge, select stops on the Humana Well-Being Tour will include a charitable donation from The Humana Foundation tied to the WalkitSM program. For example, at the Shell Houston Open, Humana is giving free pedometers to fans who visit the Well-Being Tour. Tournament attendees are encouraged to track their steps throughout the event, after which The Humana Foundation will donate $1 for every 50 recorded steps, up to $100,000, for local Houston charities.
The Humana Well-Being Tour is scheduled to visit multiple PGA TOUR stops, festivals, events and conventions throughout the year including:
- Shell Houston Open, Humble, Texas; March 29-April 1
- NOLA Navy Week, New Orleans; April 19-22
- HP Byron Nelson Championship, Irving, Texas; May 16-20
- Hispanic Business and Consumer Expo, Orlando, Fla.; June 7-10
- Taste of Chicago: July 12-15
- Senior Games Cleveland Walk, Cleveland; July 19-31
- Ohio State Fair, Columbus, Ohio; July 31
- Wisconsin State Fair, West Allis, Wisc.; August 2-12
- Kentucky State Fair, Louisville, Ky.; August 16-26
- BMW Championship, Carmel, Ind.; September 5-9
- TOUR Championship by Coca-Cola, Atlanta; September 19-23
- Miramar Air Show, Miramar, Calif.; October 12-15
- The McGladrey Classic, Sea Island, Ga.; October 18-22
About The Humana Foundation
The Humana Foundation was established in 1981 as the philanthropic arm of Humana Inc., one of the nation’s leading health care companies. Located in Louisville, Ky., the site of Humana’s corporate headquarters, the Foundation’s mission is to support charitable activities that promote healthy lives and healthy communities. The Foundation’s key priorities for funding are childhood health, intergenerational health, and active lifestyles. For more information, visit www.humanafoundation.org.
Humana and The Humana Foundation are dedicated to Corporate Social Responsibility. Our goal is to ensure that every business decision we make reflects our commitment to improving the health and well-being of our members, our associates, the communities we serve, and our planet.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
Humana Corporate Communications
Jim Turner, 502-580-3221
KEYWORDS: United States North America Kentucky Texas
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Golf Health Fitness & Nutrition Other Health Philanthropy Professional Services Insurance Sports Foundation General Health