With more than 4.3 million Medicare members, Humana serving Medicare beneficiaries across U.S.
Annual Election Period for 2012 plans earlier than previous years –scheduled for Oct. 15 to Dec. 7, 2011
For second straight year, Humana Walmart-Preferred Rx Plan (PDP) features lowest monthly premium for a plan offered in all 50 states and Washington D.C.1
LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Just more than one week from today – on October 15, 2011 – Medicare beneficiaries may start enrolling in Medicare plans for the 2012 plan year, which begins January 1, 2012. Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) – one of the nation’s most experienced Medicare companies, with more than 4.3 million Medicare members – is once again offering a broad range of cost-effective Medicare Advantage (MA) medical plans and Medicare Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) to people with Medicare.
The Annual Election Period (AEP) – when Medicare beneficiaries enroll in their Medicare coverage – is earlier this year, running from Oct. 15 through Dec. 7, 2011, with coverage taking effect on January 1, 2012. Just like last year, Medicare beneficiaries will not be able to switch plans after the AEP ends (unless they qualify for a special enrollment period), per Medicare program rules.
“Humana’s Medicare plans are cost-effective and help our members get the most from their health care dollars,” said Tom Liston, senior vice president of senior products, and the leader of Humana’s Medicare organization. “We understand that many seniors and people with disabilities live on fixed incomes. They need health coverage that helps them afford their health care, so they can spend more time with friends and family, live healthier lives and pursue lifelong well-being.”
Medicare Advantage Plans
Humana Medicare Advantage plans include coverage for doctor’s visits, annual routine physical exams, and hospital stays. Humana MA plans also come with additional benefits not offered with Original Medicare, such as:
- Plans with copayments offering predictable costs that are easy to budget – no matter what health care services are needed
- Prescription-drug coverage (offered with most Humana MA plans), so a separate stand-alone drug plan is not needed
- Health and well-being programs like the popular SilverSneakers fitness program
- Worldwide coverage for emergency care
- Easy access to MyHumana, with information about health benefits in one online location
- Humana’s award-winning and easy-to-use SmartSummary benefits statements
With drug coverage, health-and-wellness offerings and chronic-condition-management programs available with Humana MA plans, enrollees have many choices – including local and regional PPO plans, as well as HMO and Private Fee-For-Service plans. All Humana MA plans also have annual out-of-pocket maximums in 2012, protecting beneficiaries against catastrophic costs. Humana is committed to informing its members of the various benefit and savings options that are available to them for 2012, and will be doing that until and throughout this year’s enrollment period.
Prescription Drug Plans
Among Humana’s most popular PDP offerings is the Humana Walmart-Preferred Rx Plan (PDP). More than one million Medicare beneficiaries have enrolled in the plan over the past year. Again in 2012, the plan features the lowest monthly premium – $15.10 – for a plan offered in all 50 states and Washington, D.C.1. Copayments for generic drugs start at just $1 (after deductible) for preferred generic prescriptions filled at any Walmart, Sam’s Club or Neighborhood Market pharmacy. Copayments of $0 for generic drugs are available after deductible for many prescriptions filled via Humana’s mail-order pharmacy, RightSourceRxSM .
Well-Being Benefits for Members
Humana is dedicated to supporting its Medicare members on their lifelong pursuit of well-being. As evidence of this commitment, most Humana MA members enjoy access to programs that encourage healthy behaviors such as gym memberships through SilverSneakers or Silver & Fit, and the WellDine food program, which delivers meals following a hospitalization. Over the long-term, these programs aid members in achieving a greater quality of life.
Also in 2012, all Humana MA members will receive Humana’s award-winning Humana Active Outlook magazine. It’s delivered three times a year and filled with health and well-being information tailored to seniors’ health and fitness needs.
Also in 2012 …
Humana is offering new MA plan options in multiple markets across the U.S. Here’s an overview of the various plan options Humana is offering for 2012:
- HMO plans in 28 states and Puerto Rico
- Local PPO plans in 39 states and Puerto Rico
- Regional PPO plans in 23 states (in 14 Medicare Advantage regions)
- Full-network Private Fee-for-Service (PFFS) plans in 37 states. All services are available in and out of network, taking full advantage of any Humana contracted discounts when the member uses in-network health care providers.
- Partial-network PFFS plans (networked for ancillary services only) in 24 states
- Non-network PFFS plans in 2 states
- PDP offerings in all 50 states, Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico
- An expansion of special-needs plans (SNPs) for beneficiaries who are dually eligible for Medicare and Medicaid
For more information about Humana’s 2012 Medicare offerings, visit www.humana-medicare.com or call toll free 1-800-899-0441. (TTY: 711). Hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
1 “Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services.” Click on the “2012 Drug Plan Information - State Fact Sheets” under “Spotlights.” September 2011. http://www.cms.gov/center/openenrollment.asp
Jim Turner, 502-580-3221
KEYWORDS: United States North America Kentucky
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Seniors Health Other Health Professional Services Insurance Consumer General Health Managed Care