Voting is closed.
By now, your March Madness basketball brackets are probably all busted.
But if you're one of the many following the #FierceMadness Health Buzzwords Tournament rooting for "blockchain," you are still solidly in this game.
With 229 of you weighing in, "blockchain" solidly beat out the internet of things (IoT), earning 80% of the votes as one of the most overused buzzwords.
Here's a look at the other words or terms advancing to the Sweet 16 this week.
In our technology category:
- "Artificial intelligence" demolished "phishing" by a long shot: 83% to 17%.
- "Telehealth" won out over "APIs" with 57% of the votes.
- "Big data" beat "wearables" with 65% of you backing it.
In our marketing category:
- A few of this FierceHealthcare writer’s favorites got knocked off in this category. "Disruption" pushed out "transformative" with 52% of the votes, while "personalized medicine" was eliminated after "synergies" garnered 53% of your votes.
- Voters have heard the word "platform" just a little too often, knocking "megamerger" out of the tournament with 63% of the votes.
- "Patient-centered" was popular in the first round, but it wasn’t enough to keep it in the game against that favorite phrase “breaking down silos,” which got 52% of the votes.
In our care models category:
- "Continuum of care" knocked out "ACO" from the competition with 55% of the votes.
- It wasn’t even close when it came to "value proposition." It got 77% of your votes against safety net “__” (as in safety net hospital, safety net program, safety net pharmacies, safety net surcharge, etc. …)
- "Social determinants" might be getting more attention from federal and commercial payers in recent months. But it wasn’t enough to overcome "patient engagement," which got 57% of your votes.
- "Outcomes-based" beat out "integration" 58% to 42%.
In our policy category:
- "Interoperability" beat "Medicare for all" 65.5% to 34.5%.
- "Market-driven reforms" beat out "pilot" with 60% of the votes.
- "Incentives" were the strong winner in the matchup with "middlemen," getting 79% of the votes.
- "Opioid crisis" advanced another round, this time knocking out "kickbacks" with 72% of the votes.
Today, we launch the Sweet 16 portion of the tournament, and we need your votes to help narrow this down. Voting is open starting now through 11:59 on Tuesday evening. We'll announce the eight remaining words to advance to the next round on Wednesday.
Don't forget to tweet us your brackets at @FierceHealthcare!