ANN ARBOR, Mich., Dec. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Thomson Reuters today announced the release of Micromedex 2.0, the newest version of its market-leading clinical information system.
Pharmacists, nurses, and physicians in more than 3,500 hospitals in 83 countries use Micromedex, which provides evidence-based information on drugs, disease management, toxicology, neonatal dosing, alternative medicines, and patient education.
The new version gives clinicians the same content that has made Micromedex the market leader over the last 30 years -- along with significant user interface and search modifications that improve the way they access and use the information. New features include an interface based on clinician workflow patterns, enhanced search capabilities, special tabs for high-usage tools, and compatibility with iPhone®, iPod® Touch, BlackBerry® smartphones, and other mobile devices.
Micromedex 2.0 will be available to all current customers at no additional charge beginning January 21, 2010.
Built using an iterative design process that involved more than 60 clinician-user interviews, Micromedex 2.0 offers several improvements over previous versions and competing solutions:
- Enhanced search functions including multi-term search, predictive text, synonyms and suggestions for alternate spellings, and a single search box on every page.
- A 360-degree view of results providing a complete picture of all available information about a drug or condition on a single screen -- including drug summaries, images, consults, comparative efficacy, labeled and off-label indications, treatment options, and more.
- Separate tabs for high-usage tools - including a calculators tab with 22 separate dosing, laboratory value, antidote, and measurement calculators, and tabs for Trissel's (TM)2 IV compatibility, drug identification with images, and comprehensive drug interaction checking.
- Support for the Safari and Opera Mini browsers, which provides for access via iPhone, iPod Touch, BlackBerry, and hundreds of other mobile devices.
- Clean interface design that makes it easy for clinicians to interact with evidence-based content.
"Micromedex has always had great evidence-based clinical content," said Dennis Killian, Pharm.D., Ph.D., director of pharmacy at Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury, Maryland. "With 2.0, they have rebuilt the search and user interface to fit the way clinical people work. Multi-term searching gets you to the answer you need more quickly than before, and the 360-degree dashboard displays all the different types of information available for a specific drug."
"Micromedex 2.0 represents the intersection of integrated evidence-based clinical content and user-centered design," said Thomas Hegelund, executive vice president for the Healthcare & Science business of Thomson Reuters. "By using Micromedex 2.0, hospital clinicians get the right answer, quickly, along with the certainty that they are acting on the best evidence available."
Customers can call 1-877-843-6796 and say "Micromedex" to schedule an upgrade to Micromedex 2.0.
To learn more about the new solution, visit the Thomson Reuters booth (#2207) at the American Society of Health System Pharmacists (ASHP) Midyear Clinical Meeting this week, or visit www.micromedex.com/2.
Thomson Reuters is the world's leading source of intelligent information for businesses and professionals. We combine industry expertise with innovative technology to deliver critical information to leading decision makers in the financial, legal, tax and accounting, healthcare and science and media markets, powered by the world's most trusted news organization. With headquarters in New York and major operations in London and Eagan, Minnesota, Thomson Reuters employs more than 50,000 people and operates in over 100 countries. Thomson Reuters shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX: TRI) and New York Stock Exchange ( TRI). For more information, go to www.thomsonreuters.com.