Press Release: 2006 Procedural Survey Shows 3% Increase In Men Seeking Cosmetic Surgery

2006 Procedural Survey Shows 3% Increase In Men Seeking Cosmetic Surgery The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery (AACS) is pleased to announce the results of its 2006 Procedural Data. This information is collected by polling the Academy's U.S.-based members and for the seventh year in a row, liposuction proved to be the nation's top cosmetic surgical procedure with Botox(R) injections being the top non-invasive cosmetic surgery procedure. Of note among the findings: there has been a 3% increase in the percentage of men from 2002 to 2006 who have had cosmetic surgery, showing a growing trend among men. Among patients treated, 79% were women and 21% were male. These numbers were released at the 23rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery in Phoenix in January. The report also showed that members of the Academy treat over 1.2 million patients a year. The report includes data on the prevalence of various cosmetic surgery procedures, with a breakdown of men and women. The survey also showed that of all cosmetic procedures performed, 34% were surgical, with the remaining 66% being non-surgical procedures. The report also highlights the price ranges of the procedures performed. The top four most performed cosmetic surgical procedures in 2005 include: liposuction, blepharoplasty, facelift and forehead lift; while the most popular non-surgical cosmetic procedures were Botox(R) injections, Restylane/Hylaform injections, chemical peels and laser resurfacings. The 2006 Procedural Data is based on a survey of U.S.-based AACS members completed in December 2006. The entire report, conducted by RH Research, is available by contacting the Academy. The American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery is a professional medical society whose members are dedicated to patient safety and physician education in cosmetic surgery. Most members of the AACS are dermatologic surgeons, facial plastic surgeons, head and neck surgeons, general surgeons, oral and maxillofacial surgeons, plastic surgeons, or ocular plastic surgeons -- all of whom specialize in cosmetic surgery. AACS is an organization that represents all cosmetic surgeons in the American Medical Association through its seat in the AMA House of Delegates. American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery http://www.cosmeticsurgery.org

Suggested Articles

The profit margins and management of Community Health Group raise questions about oversight of managed care insurers.

Financial experts are warning practices about the pitfalls of promoting medical credit cards to their patients.

A proposed rule issued by HHS on Tuesday would expand short-term coverage, a move Seema Verma said will have "virtually no impact" on ACA premiums.