HIV care settings make a difference in patient response to treatment

Patients who are HIV-positive and seek treatment at community clinics are more likely to continue receiving care, while those treated at hospital clinics are more likely to maintain undetectable viral load, according to NAM's coverage of research reported at IDWeek 2013 in San Francisco. Asher Schranz from New York University and colleagues conducted a retrospective cohort study of 13,027 HIV-positive patients receiving care at 25 Ryan White-funded clinics in Philadelphia between January 2008 and 2011. Twelve of the clinics were hospital-based and saw 61 percent of the patients. Thirteen community-based clinics treated the remaining 39 percent. Patients who attended community clinics were more likely than hospital clinic patients to continue receiving treatment (85 percent vs. 82 percent). Although antiretroviral therapy use was similar in both groups, hospital clinic patients were significantly more likely to achieve viral suppression (71 percent vs. 76 percent). Article

Suggested Articles

The profit margins and management of Community Health Group raise questions about oversight of managed care insurers.

Financial experts are warning practices about the pitfalls of promoting medical credit cards to their patients.

A proposed rule issued by HHS on Tuesday would expand short-term coverage, a move Seema Verma said will have "virtually no impact" on ACA premiums.