Humana emphasizes ‘robust data sharing,’ analytics and digital tools in Kindred acquisition

Humana building
Humana says the Kindred acquisition will provide enhanced data sharing and opportunities to provide in-home care using digital tools.

Data and analytics will be a feature of Humana’s approach to senior care after announcing a 40% stake in Kindred Healthcare this week.

In a deal announced on Tuesday, Kindred will be split into two separate entities. One, called Kindred at Home, will focus on home health, hospice and community care. Humana announced it will own a 40% stake in that spinoff. Two private equity firms will own the remaining 60%, but Humana has the option to buy the remaining ownership of the company over time.

The other spinoff, Kindred Healthcare, will focus on long-term acute care hospital and rehabilitation services.

RELATED: Humana, pair of private equity firms will buy Kindred Healthcare for $4.1B

In its announcement of the acquisition, Humana underscored its focus on data and analytics, noting that “robust data sharing between Humana and Kindred at Home will yield improved analytics and predictive modeling.” The insurer plans to leverage those newly acquired data sets to advance digital interactions between patients and physicians using remote monitoring and telehealth. The approach will also provide physicians with information to drive quality outcomes for seniors living with chronic conditions. 

“We look forward to transforming post-acute care through a value-based approach that will deliver improved clinical outcomes, ultimately lowering medical costs,” William Fleming, Humana’s president of healthcare services said in the announcement. “We believe this work will lead to reduced hospitalizations, reduced emergency room visits, and allow physicians and clinicians to extend their care all the way to the patient’s home.”

RELATED: Humana CMO explains why the insurer sees itself as a data analytics company 'more than anything else'

Humana executives have referenced the importance of data analytics and technology in insurer’s quest to get relevant information in front of providers and support value-based payment contracts. Earlier this year, Humana Chief Medical Officer Roy Beveridge, M.D., told FierceHealthcare health executives increasing see the insurer as more of IT company assisting physicians with population health.  

CEO Bruce Broussard has also said Humana is increasingly focused on taking a holistic view of member health, using a combination of predictive analytics and targeted human intervention.  

Suggested Articles

Health insurers’ financial performance is on a continuing upward trend, but political and legal risks could pose a threat to that growth.

Senate lawmakers released a draft package of legislation aimed at curbing healthcare costs they believe they can pass on a bipartisan basis.

Attorneys general seeking to defend the ACA argue that their opponents—including the DOJ—have poor legal standing to challenge the law.