CMS names 89 new ACOs
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services today announced 89 new accountable care organizations (ACO) to the Medicare Shared Saving Program. With these new ACOs, the number of providers participating in Medicare Shared Savings initiatives now totals 154.
Moreover, five of the new ACOs applied for a version of the program that provides opportunity for a higher share of savings by sharing any losses if costs of care increase, CMS noted in a fact sheet.
"The Medicare ACO program opened for business in January and, already, more than 2.4 million beneficiaries are receiving care from providers participating in these important initiatives," CMS Acting Administrator Marilyn Tavenner said today in a statement.
The newest additions to accountable care include the WellStar Health Network in Georgia, which has 1,203 physicians; Advocate Health Partners in Illinois, which has 2,237 physicians; and Genesis Accountable Care Organization in Iowa, comprised of hospitals employing ACO professionals and has 312 physicians.
Essential Health also joins the list, with a combination of ACO group practices, critical access hospitals and a rural health clinic, and 1,404 physicians to serve Medicare beneficiaries in Minnesota, North Dakota and Wisconsin, according to the fact sheet.
Meanwhile, applications for the next round of ACOs will open Aug. 1 for organizations that want to participate in the Medicare Shared Savings program, starting Jan. 1, 2013.
- MPS ACO Physicians, LLC - Middletown, Conn.
- PriMed, LLC - Shelton, Conn.
- Central Maine ACO - Lewiston, Maine
- Maine Community Accountable Care Organization, LLC - Augusta, Maine
- MaineHealth Accountable Care Organization - Portland, Maine
- Circle Health Alliance, LLC - Lowell, Mass. (serving Medicare beneficiaries in Massachusetts and New Hampshire)
- Harbor Medical Associates, PC - South Weymouth, Mass.
- Concord Elliot ACO LLC - Manchester, N.H.
- Barnabas Health ACO-North, LLC - West Orange, N.J.
- Accountable Care Coalition of Syracuse, LLC - Syracuse, N.Y.
- Asian American Accountable Care Organization - New York City
- Balance Accountable Care Network - New York City
- Beacon Health Partners, LLP - Manhasset, N.Y,
- Chautauqua Region Associated Medical Partners, LLC - Jamestown, N.Y. (serving Medicare beneficiaries in New York and Pennsylvania)
- Healthcare Provider ACO, Inc. - Garden City, N.Y.
- Mount Sinai Care, LLC - New York City
- ProHEALTH Accountable Care Medical Group, PLLC - Lake Success, N.Y. (serving Medicare beneficiaries in Florida and New York)
- WESTMED Medical Group, PC - Purchase, N.Y. (serving Medicare beneficiaries in Connecticut and New York)
- Coastal Medical, Inc. - Providence, R.I. (serving Medicare beneficiaries in Massachusetts and Rhode Island)
- Accountable Care Coalition of Green Mountains, LLC - South Burlington, Vt.