Big data continues to dominate the 2015 predictions for health IT from IDC Health Insights, though security plays a major role as well.
Among the predictions in the IDC FutureScape for Health Insights report:
- By 2015, half of healthcare organizations will have experienced one to five cyber attacks in the previous 12 months, with a third of those attacks successful.
- By 2018, 65 percent of consumer transactions with healthcare organizations will be through mobile devices, requiring organizations to develop strategies for Web, mobile and telephone.
- To help manage chronic conditions, 70 percent of healthcare organizations will invest in mobile applications, wearables, remote health monitoring, and virtual care by 2018. Those investments will increase demand for big data and analytics capability to support population health management initiatives.
- By 2018, half of health and life science buyers will demand substantial risk sharing with outsourcing partners to emphasize their growing role in overall improvements.
- By 2020, 80 percent of healthcare data will pass through the cloud at some point in its lifetime as providers increasingly turn to the cloud for data collection, aggregation, analytics, and decision-making.
The predictions are designed to present a roadmap to organizations for the planning and budgeting process for their health IT expenditures, Scott Lundstrom, group vice president and general manager of IDC Health Insights, says in an announcement.
Telemedicine and digital health will be ubiquitous as healthcare reform continues to take hold, according to University of Pennsylvania-based health economist Ezekiel Emanuel.
"The hospital won't be the locust of care that it has always been," said in his keynote speech Tuesday at the New York eHealth Collaborative's Digital Health Conference.
Applications for population health management that integrate claims and clinical data will vital to the success of accountable care organizations (ACOs), IDC Health Insights said in a previous report.
To learn more:
- read the announcement