Sanford Health, UnityPoint Health
- Type of deal: Merger
- Announcement date: June 28, 2019
- Close date: Pending, but expected by year-end
- Deal value: $11 billion
- Name of new company: Pending
- Total number of employees of combined company: More than 83,000 staff members
- Headquarters of combined company: Pending; Sanford is based in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and UnityPoint is headquartered in West Des Moines, Iowa
- Leadership of combined company: Kelby Krabbenhoft, CEO of Sanford, will take over as the joint company’s CEO, with UnityPoint CEO Kevin Vermeer to serve as senior executive vice president. The governing board will include representatives from both systems.
What's the latest? The union of South Dakota-based Sanford Health and Iowa-based UnityPoint Health would create one of the 15 largest health systems in the United States, with a combined 76 hospitals.
The joint health system would operate in 26 states and nine countries, and would include acute care, post-acute care, research and health plans among its business lines.
Leaders at the two health systems said the merger would allow for additional opportunities to build scale and expand research opportunities.