LOUISVILLE, Ky.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) announced today that Elizabeth D. Bierbower, most recently the company’s Specialty Benefits leader, has been promoted to the new role of President, Employer Group segment for Humana. In this role, Bierbower now leads all of Humana’s Employer-focused business, including Large Group and Small Group sales, distribution and market operations, Specialty Benefits, Group Medicare, Humana’s new Health and Productivity Solutions area, and National Sales.
Before today’s announcement, Bierbower has – since 2009 – led Humana’s Specialty Benefits area, including dental, vision, life, disability and workplace voluntary benefits. In this role, she has helped the Specialty organization grow, in part by increasing Specialty’s dental and vision networks from a multi-regional to a national footprint. Today, enrollment in Humana Specialty products is approximately 7.7 million.
Bierbower started her career at Humana in 2001. As Product Innovation leader she drove the consumer strategy that included development of new products and services that helped position Humana as a leader in consumerism. She now reports to Jim Murray, Humana’s Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer.
“Humana’s realignment of our business around specific customer relationships – such as the employer relationship – is intended to result in an enhanced overall customer and member experience,” Murray said. “Beth has done a great job leading Humana Specialty Benefits and is ideally suited to lead Humana’s Employer Group segment. Her experience and expertise will enable Beth to ensure that Humana’s employer-customers and their employees have a great experience with Humana.”
Bierbower has published a book titled Engage! A Guide to Involving Your Consumers in their Health. She earned a master’s degree in public management, graduating with highest honors, from Carnegie Mellon University.
Effective immediately, the following Humana Employer Group segment leaders report to Bierbower:
- Pattie Dale Tye now leads Large Group. Tye joined Humana in 2005 as Market President of the company’s Houston Commercial operations. In 2010, she assumed additional leadership responsibilities for Humana’s Dallas-Fort Worth Commercial market.
- Jerry Ganoni will continue to lead Small Business. Additionally, Ganoni will now oversee Humana’s National Sales Organization and guide Small Business through health reform. He came to Humana in 1990.
- Rick Remmers now leads Sales and Distribution across the Employer Group segment, including both Commercial and Group Medicare products and offerings. Remmers joined the company in 1987.
- Sean Slovenski now leads a new function within the Employer Group segment known as Health and Productivity Solutions. Slovenski is responsible for a differentiated, integrated wellness solution that brings together and leverages all of Humana’s wellness, medical and specialty offerings. Slovenski will also continue to lead HumanaVitality and non-clinical services at Humana’s LifeSynch subsidiary. He joined Humana in 2010.
- Susie Couch will lead financial operations for the Employer Group Segment. She joined Humana in 1998.
In addition to these appointments, Humana’s Bill Tait will now lead Strategic Distribution Partner and Customer Initiatives as well as Corporate Sponsorships, also reporting to Murray.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky, is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings
- Most recent investor conference presentations
- Quarterly earnings news releases
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors)
- Corporate Governance information
KEYWORDS: United States North America Kentucky
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Other Health Professional Services Insurance