KHIN transmits immunization data to state registry; Cerner acquires PureWellness;

News From Around the Web

> The Kansas Health Information Network successfully transmitted data from the Community Health Center of Southeast Kansas to the Kansas Immunization Registry, KSWebIZ. The registry is web-based and spans the entire state, and was established both to consolidate immunization information for all Kansas residents and to reduce unnecessary immunizations. Announcement

> Cerner likely strengthened its position in the population wellness market this week through its acquisition of PureWellness, a health and wellness company based in Burlington, Vt. PureWellness' health and wellness platform now will be known as Cerner Wellness. Announcement

Provider News

> Despite the continued momentum toward accountable care organizations (ACOs), only 60 percent of physicians answering a recent survey from staffing company LocumTenens.com said they're willing to participate them. The remaining 40 percent of the 1,416 respondents said they would not be willing to participate. Article

> Although much of the patient safety movement focuses on hospital errors, missed diagnoses in doctor's offices are common and don't get nearly the attention they're due, according to a study published in JAMA Internal Medicine. For the study, researchers used electronic health records to track 190 diagnostic errors made during primary care visits, all of which resulted in the misdiagnosed patient winding up hospitalized or returning to the emergency room or office within two weeks. Article

Health Finance News

> California Gov. Jerry Brown has asked the Obama administration for broader leeway to control costs for the Medicaid program--a call for flexibility that's being echoed by other governors. Brown raised the issue during a meeting of the National Governors Association meetings in Washington over the weekend. Article

And Finally... What, no Barry White? Article

Suggested Articles

Welcome to this week's Chutes & Ladders, our roundup of hirings, firings and retirings throughout the industry.

Women and family health startup Maven landed $45 million in series C funding with some high-profile backers.

Over 41 million patient records were breached in 2019 as the healthcare industry faces new hacking techniques and threats.