Confusion reigns in clinical analytics market

Increased competition has muddled the "rapidly evolving" market for clinical data analytics solutions, according to a new report published this week by Cambridge, Mass.-based health analyst firm Chilmark Research.

The report, "2013 Clinical Analytics Market Report: Analysis and Trends," examines the role of clinical data analytics in proactive population health management. It profiles 14 vendors--including Aetna/Active Management, the Advisory Board Company, athenahealth and IBM--in hopes of helping providers sift through the sudden myriad of available offerings.

"Clinical best of breed vendors had initially enjoyed little competition, but in the last 12 to 18 months have seen significant increase in competition," Chilmark founder John Moore says in a statement. "This has led to significant confusion as to what the true capabilities are of various analytics solutions to address the strategic needs of a healthcare organization."

Lead report analyst Cora Sharma says that, with the exception of payers, the healthcare industry, overall, is "late to the analytics game."

"High-touch care management processes of the past will no longer suffice, as the size of the problem is too vast, resources too few and patients too numerous," she says.

According to a report published last month by Orem, Utah-based research firm KLAS, big-name vendors' analytics offerings are failing to adequately meet the needs of healthcare providers.

The paper finds plenty of interest among healthcare leaders, but no clear leader in the market for business intelligence technology. In interviews with leaders of hospitals or care-delivery systems with more than 200 beds, 41 percent weren't sure who the market leaders are. IBM, SAP, Microsoft and Oracle stood out with the remaining 59 percent, though none received more than 12 percent of the vote.

To learn more:
- read the announcement from Chilmark
- purchase the report
- here's the Chilmark blog post

Free Webinar

Take Control of Your Escalating Claim Costs through a Comprehensive Pre-payment Hospital Bill Review Solution

Today managing high dollar claim spend is more important than ever for Health Plans, TPAs, Employers, and Reinsurers, and can pose significant financial risks. How can these costs be managed without being a constant financial drain on your company resources? Our combination of the right people and the right technology provides an approach that ensures claims are paid right, the first time. Register Now!

Suggested Articles

JetBlue, Lufthansa, Swiss International Airlines, United Airlines, and Virgin Atlantic will roll out the CommonPass mobile app in December.

The pandemic is transforming the way the healthcare industry handles payments. Here are key takeaways on the benefits of automated payments.

After hitting the high-water mark in the third quarter, global healthcare funding is projected to slow down in the final quarter of 2020.