Dr. Eric Topol to Keynote August Event in San Diego
LA JOLLA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, CHI-California Healthcare Institute announced the line-up of speakers and panel discussion topics for its upcoming mobile health event, “Take This Pill and Tweet Me in the Morning: How Advances in Social Media and Mobile Health are Creating Consumer-centric Healthcare.”
The event, which will take place Thursday, Aug. 4, at the Salk Institute in La Jolla, Calif., is aimed at providing California’s biomedical industry, academic research community and the service sectors that support them, insights into the significant policy and economic issues associated with the transition to consumer-centric healthcare. Regulatory affairs, public affairs, business development, marketing and research and development professionals, as well as investors and entrepreneurs in the life sciences and technology sectors addressing mobile health technologies (mHealth) should attend.
Advances in social media and mHealth are giving consumers more influence than ever over their health and healthcare. The pharmaceutical and life sciences industries have officially taken note, working to understand how consumer-centric healthcare will affect their markets, and considering how they can use social media and offer mHealth tools and services.
Dr. Eric Topol, a leading pioneer of wireless health technologies, will provide the event’s keynote address, “The Future of Healthcare Is Now: Powered by Facebook, Twitter and Your iPhone.” Topol is a co-founder and the vice chairman of the La Jolla-based West Wireless Health Institute and also serves as professor of translational genomics at The Scripps Research Institute and is chief academic officer of Scripps Health. He has led the flagship NIH-supported Scripps Translational Science Institute since 2006.
Other panels include:
- What are the Latest mHealth and Social Media Tools, Who’s Making Them, and What Do They Do?
- Moderator: T. Hale Boggs, Partner, Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Matthew Holt, Co-founder, Health 2.0
- Douglas Trauner, CEO, TheCarrot.com
- Naser Partovi, Co-founder of Sanitus and Managing Partner of Salzberg Investments
- Anthony Costello, Chief Operating Officer, Mytrus
- To Regulate or Not to Regulate: Tracking FDA’s Potential Oversight of mHealth Tools and the Biomedical Industry’s Use of Social Media
- Benjamin Lei , Associate Director, iM eMarketing, Genentech
- Mark Carlson, M.D., Chief Medical Officer and Senior Vice President, Research and Clinical Affairs, St. Jude Medical
- Anand K. Iyer, Ph.D, MBA, President & Chief Operating Officer, WellDoc
- To Reimburse or Not to Reimburse: mHealth’s Commercial Viability
- Robert Knorr, CEO, Alere Home Monitoring, Inc.
- Derek Newell, former CEO of Health Hero Network, a unit of Bosch and maker of Health Buddy
- Jon Linkous, CEO, American Telemedicine Association
- Eve Kurtin, Senior Advisor, Vantage Point Capital Partners
- Protecting Patient Privacy in a Wireless, Networked World. What Are the Rules and To Whom Do They Apply?
- Deven McGraw, Director of the Health Privacy Project, Center for Democracy and Technology
Contact CHI Senior Director of Communications Nicole Beckstrand ([email protected] or 858-456-8881) to register for the event as a member of the media. The Twitter hashtag for the event is #takethispill.
CHI represents more than 250 leading biotechnology, medical device, diagnostics, and pharmaceutical companies, and public and private academic biomedical research organizations. CHI’s mission is to advance responsible public policies that foster medical innovation and promote scientific discovery. CHI’s website is www.chi.org. Follow us on Twitter @calhealthcare and Facebook.
CHI-California Healthcare Institute
Nicole Beckstrand, 858-456-8881
KEYWORDS: United States North America California
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Technology Internet Practice Management Health Biotechnology Medical Devices Pharmaceutical Mobile/Wireless Social Media Communications Marketing Research FDA Science