NEW YORK, Feb. 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- WebMD Health Corp. (Nasdaq: WBMD), the leading source of health information, today announced a set of new enhancements for Medscape Mobile to assist physicians in diagnosis and treatment at the point-of-care. Medscape Mobile, WebMD's free medical application for physicians, now provides access to thousands of in-depth clinical reference articles on diseases, conditions, and procedures, in addition to complete reference information on over 7,000 brand name, generic and OTC medications.
The new multimedia clinical reference includes medical images and procedure videos, enabling healthcare professionals to quickly visualize their topic of interest on the iPhone® or iPod touch®. Together with Medscape's reference articles, Medscape Mobile provides the most comprehensive and up-to-date clinical reference at the point-of-care.
"There has been an overwhelming response from physicians to our latest version of Medscape Mobile," said Steve Zatz, M.D., Executive Vice President, WebMD. "Physicians now have at no cost a continually updated, mobile clinical reference for diagnosis and treatment wherever and whenever they need medical information."
Medscape Mobile has attracted over 200,000 users since its launch just seven months ago, quickly becoming the number one free medical app for Apple's iPhone® or iPod touch®. With its new addition, physicians now have the most comprehensive clinical reference, drug interaction checker, continuing medical education (CME) activities, medical news, and professional directory information in a mobile application.
Features of Medscape Mobile's free iPhone® Application include:
- Clinical reference with continually-updated information on over 3,000 diseases, conditions, and procedures; peer-reviewed evidence-based content authored by leading experts, articles enhanced with multimedia including over 2,500 images and more than 150 videos, and step-by-step instructions on clinical procedures.
- Drug reference with over 6,000 generic and brand name drugs, over 1,000 generic and brand over-the counter (OTC drugs), and over 1,000 herbals and supplements.
- Drug information with adult and pediatric dosing, adverse effects, and pregnancy and lactation guidelines.
- Drug interaction checker that quickly shows interactions for a combination of up to 30 drugs, herbals and/or supplements with detailed information from minor to contraindicated interactions.
- Continuing Medical Education from MedscapeCME across 30 specialty areas in formats created specifically for a mobile device.
- Medscape Medical News with up-to-date, specialty-focused medical content across more than 30 specialties. News articles that can be saved for quick access.
- The WebMD Health Directory featuring contact information for over 400,000 physicians, 57,000 pharmacies, and 6,000 hospitals in a convenient search format.
- Ability to easily email WebMD Health Directory information, including contact and location information with a map, directly to a patient or colleague.
Medscape's industry-leading medical information on Medscape Mobile can be accessed on demand on the iPhone® and iPod touch®. To download Medscape for iPhone® and iPod touch®, search for 'Medscape' in the iTunes® Store or look under 'free apps' in the Medical category. Registration for a free Medscape account is accessible through the app or by visiting www.medscape.com. To learn more about Medscape Mobile, please visit www.medscapemobile.com.
WebMD Health Corp. (Nasdaq: WBMD) is the leading provider of health information services, serving consumers, physicians, healthcare professionals, employers and health plans through our public and private online portals and health-focused publications. Approximately 60 million unique visitors access the WebMD Health Network each month.
The WebMD Health Network includes WebMD Health, Medscape, MedicineNet, emedicine, emedicineHealth, RxList, theheart.org and drugs.com.
All statements contained in this press release, other than statements of historical fact, are forward-looking statements, including those regarding: our expectations concerning market opportunities and our ability to capitalize on them; and the benefits expected from new products or services. These statements speak only as of the date of this press release and are based on our current plans and expectations, and they involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual future events or results to be different than those described in or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks and uncertainties include those relating to: market acceptance of our products and services; relationships with customers and strategic partners; and changes in economic, political or regulatory conditions or other trends affecting the healthcare, Internet and information technology industries. Further information about these matters can be found in our Securities and Exchange Commission filings.