Bloomington, Ind. - April 27, 2009 - The industry's first interactive, behind-the-scenes video takes viewers day-by-day through the techniques and procedures of in-vitro fertilization (IVF) through a new online destination from Cook Medical. CookARTLab.com is designed to improve laboratory and clinical performance in the field of assisted reproductive technology (A.R.T.).
The Cook A.R.T. Lab tour shows real-world demonstrations of ovum collection, sperm injection, embryo culture and embryo transfer, with guidance on how to optimize each step for improved pregnancy rates. The microsite also features a knowledge base with up-to-the minute links to the most current published research in A.R.T.; a discussion forum that allows professionals to exchange information and experiences; and a news center posting upcoming industry events - making the Cook site a centralized resource on breaking research and best practices for fertility and reproductive specialists.
Describing the new website, Patricia Jilbert, embryologist at the Center for Reproductive Biology of Indiana commented, "The lab tour is accurate and provides an in-depth explanation of all aspects of laboratory procedures. While not all the procedures are performed the same way in every lab, this (the tour) does give newcomers to the field a great overview of what is involved (in IVF). I could see the tour being useful in educating residents. Some patients are curious about what happens behind our closed doors so this would be another resource for them to feel they were informed and more comfortable with the IVF process."
In addition to the industry's first interactive A.R.T. lab tour, Cook is providing an entire suite of resources to assist infertility and reproduction professionals in gaining the added knowledge and expertise necessary to have a marked impact on patient outcomes. The specific assets found at the first-of-its-kind Cook A.R.T. Lab website include:
- A.R.T. Lab Tour - Provides an expert behind-the-scene look at the entire IVF experience from preparation for ovum aspiration to embryo transfer, featuring Cook's industry leading A.R.T. products. Translated transcripts of the videos are also available for download in Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, Korean, Chinese and Japanese as well as English. For a preview click here.
- Knowledge Center - Offers a continually updated pipeline and archive of recent publications and resources on all facets of A.R.T. and IVF divided by key subject areas. Topics include: Human ovum collection; sperm preparation and intrauterine insemination; embryo culture and incubation; cryopreservation and vitrification; ICSI and micromanipulation; and embryo transfer.
- Discussion Forum - Engages experts, peers and Cook Medical product specialists to exchange A.R.T. knowledge and experience. Multilingual questions, input and discussion are encouraged on all relevant topics and products.
- News and Events - Gathers and posts the latest breaking news on IVF, A.R.T. and Cook Medical from across the Internet as well as posting an ongoing channel of upcoming industry events dedicated to advancing the practice of IVF.
- Detailed Product Information - Links to cataloged information and resources on the complete line of Cook Medical products for A.R.T. and other women's health-related applications.
Since its inception more than thirty years ago, IVF has rapidly evolved and significant advancements have been made in the field of assisted reproductive technology (A.R.T.). For more than 25 years, Cook Medical has provided infertility and reproductive specialists with innovative products to meet the needs of each individual patient. Cook's end-to-end suite of A.R.T. products assists professionals in every step of the IVF process, from early infertility detection through to the embryo transfer. The Cook A.R.T. Lab demonstrates the depth and breadth of the Cook solutions, highlighting how each product in the suite can be used most effectively to optimize the IVF process.
"For over two decades, Cook has remained dedicated to furthering the practice of IVF by providing today's experts with industry leading products and cutting-edge resources to improve pregnancy rates," said Christina Anné, Vice President of Cook Medical's Women's Health Strategic Business Unit. "With the launch of this microsite, Cook Medical is continuing our commitment to the advancement of IVF by harnessing the dynamic power of the Internet to provide today's infertility specialists with real-time, access to the resources and information necessary to support patients and improve their practices."
About Cook Medical
Cook Medical was one of the first companies to help popularize interventional medicine, pioneering many of the devices now commonly used worldwide to perform minimally invasive medical procedures. Today, the company integrates minimally invasive medical device design, biopharma, gene and cell therapy, and biotech to enhance patient safety and improve clinical outcomes in the fields of aortic intervention; interventional cardiology; critical care medicine; gastroenterology; radiology, peripheral vascular, bone access and oncology; surgery and soft tissue repair; urology; and assisted reproductive technology, gynecology and high-risk obstetrics. Founded in 1963 and operated as a family-held private corporation, Cook is a past winner of the prestigious Medical Device Manufacturer of the Year Award from Medical Device & Diagnostic Industry magazine. For more information, visit www.cookmedical.com.