At Hospital Impact, Tony Chen examines the competition hospitals are facing from 10 rather unusual areas. Here are some of the standouts from the list:
- Many patients would like their hospital to treat them like a hotel guest rather than a patient. And some hospitals are eager to provide five-star service.
- U.S. Preventative Medicine is in the process of opening 150 preventative care centers nationwide. Preventative medicine can have a positive impact on healthcare costs and hospital overcrowding, but it also means fewer customers for hospitals.
- Traditional healthcare providers can't afford to ignore the growing retail clinic trend, especially because clinic staff refers some patients to hospitals.
- Steve Case-backed Revolution Healthcare has money. A lot of it. The company has big plans to create an online consumer healthcare powerhouse.
- Healthcare has wormed its way into resorts and many patients are willing to pay a lot of money to receive care in a posh setting.
For the complete list of hospital competitors:
- read this Hospital Impact blog entry