TAMPA, FL & MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Biovest International, Inc. (OTCQB:BVTI), a majority-owned subsidiary of Accentia Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. (OTCQB:ABPI), today announced the international members of its Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) comprised of key opinion leaders from prestigious institutions such as the Sunnybrook-Odette Cancer Centre at the University of Toronto, University of Cologne and University of Nottingham. Dedicated to the advancement of cancer vaccines, the Biovest SAB represents a group of preeminent physicians and doctors from the fields of cancer immunotherapy, immunology, regulatory affairs, bioinformatics and cell culture bio-manufacturing.
The initial international members of the Biovest SAB (listed in alphabetical order) are:
- Neil L. Berinstein, M.D., Associate Scientist, Professor of Medicine, Sunnybrook-Odette Cancer Centre at the University of Toronto – Dr. Berinstein is a global pioneer in cancer vaccines, having formerly served as Assistant Vice President and Global Program Leader at Sanofi Pasteur, leading the development of Sanofi's cancer vaccines both strategically and operationally. He currently serves as part of the Executive Steering Committee of the Cancer Research Institute-sponsored Cancer Immunotherapy Consortium and was formerly a member and leader of the scientific review committee of the Leukemia Research Fund. Dr. Berinstein is the recipient of numerous grants in his research career and has published six book chapters, and over 100 peer-reviewed, invited or review papers to date.
- Volker Diehl, M.D., Ph.D., Director Emeritus for Internal Medicine at the University of Cologne (Germany) – A pioneer in the field of lymphoma and Founder and Chairman of the German Hodgkin Lymphoma Study Group, Dr. Diehl was awarded the 2010 Wallace H. Coulter Award for Lifetime Achievement in Hematology by the American Society of Hematology (ASH); this being ASH’s highest honor recognizing a lifetime commitment of outstanding contributions to hematology.
- Lindy G. Durrant, Ph.D., Professor, Faculty of Medicine & Health Sciences and Chair in Cancer Immunotherapy, Department of Clinical Oncology, University of Nottingham (UK) – An internationally recognized immunologist in the field of tumor therapy, Dr. Durrant has worked for more than 20-years in translational research, developing products for clinical trials including monoclonal antibodies for diagnostic imaging and therapy and cancer vaccines. She is currently running clinical trials in colorectal cancer, osteosarcoma and malignant melanoma.
- Adriaan Fruijtier, Managing Director, CATS Consultants GmbH (Germany) – Mr. Fruijtier has formerly served as: Project Manager for Oncology Projects at the European Medicines Agency (EMA); Head of Oncology Group within Global Regulatory Affairs at Bayer AG and Bayer Corporation; Director of Regulatory Affairs at Micromet AG; Regulatory Affairs Project Manager Oncology for Novartis AG; and Manager, Regulatory Affairs at Glaxo. Mr. Fruijtier is advising with regards to the European regulatory strategy for BiovaxID.
- Anne Tomalin, BA, BSc, RAC, Managing Director, Strategic Regulatory and Safety, OptumInsight – Since founding the international regulatory consulting firm, CanReg (now OptumInsight), in 1996, Ms. Tomalin has grown the consultancy to more than 100 in-house consultants and staff with extensive experience working with the FDA, Health Canada, EMA and other regulatory agencies. Her experience includes more than 20 years in various key roles working at Wyeth, Roche and Searle.
Samuel S. Duffey, Biovest’s President & CEO, stated, “As we advance BiovaxID toward applications for marketing approval and ultimate commercialization, it’s important that we have the benefit of advice and counsel of international experts. The esteemed international members of our Scientific Advisory Board are making important contributions with regards to our international strategies, and we are delighted to have their input, guidance and support.”
A complete listing of the Biovest Scientific Advisory Board membership can be accessed at: http://www.biovest.com/about-biovest/scientific-advisory-board
About Biovest International, Inc.
Biovest International, Inc. is an emerging leader in the field of active personalized immunotherapies. In collaboration with the National Cancer Institute, Biovest has developed a patient-specific, cancer vaccine, BiovaxID®, with three clinical trials completed, including a Phase III study, demonstrating evidence of safety and efficacy for the treatment of indolent follicular non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma.
Headquartered in Tampa, Florida with its bio-manufacturing facility based in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Biovest is publicly-traded on the OTCQB™ Market with the stock-ticker symbol “BVTI”, and is a majority-owned subsidiary of Accentia Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. (OTCQB: “ABPI”).
For further information, please visit: http://www.biovest.com
Statements in this release that are not strictly historical in nature constitute "forward-looking statements." Such statements include, but are not limited to statements about BiovaxID®, AutovaxID®, events occurring after dates hereof, and any other statements relating to products, product candidates, product development programs, the FDA or clinical study process including the commencement, process, or completion of clinical trials or the regulatory process. Such statements may include, without limitation, statements with respect to the Company's plans, objectives, expectations and intentions, and other statements identified by words such as "may," "could," "would," "should," "believes," "expects," "anticipates," "estimates," "intends," "plans," or similar expressions. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties, and other factors that may cause the actual results of Biovest to be materially different from historical results or from any results expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These factors include, but are not limited to, risks and uncertainties related to the progress, timing, cost, and results of clinical trials and product development programs; difficulties or delays in obtaining regulatory approval for product candidates; competition from other pharmaceutical or biotechnology companies; and the additional risks discussed in filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement, and Biovest undertakes no obligation to revise or update this news release to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof. The product names used in this statement are for identification purposes only. All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Biovest International, Inc.:
Douglas Calder, 813-864-2558
Vice President, Strategic Planning & Capital Markets
KEYWORDS: United States North America Florida Minnesota
INDUSTRY KEYWORDS: Health Biotechnology Clinical Trials Hospitals Medical Devices Oncology Pharmaceutical Other Health Research Other Science Science General Health