"There's always a wave of early adopters," Robert Williams, national medical director at Deloitte Life Sciences-Healthcare Consulting, based in McLean, Va., told FierceHealthcare in an interview.
"You see larger health systems that have a large operating margin tend to be able to invest early on," Williams noted. Some organizations might be driven by local marketplace or their leadership is focused physician engagement. "Those drivers have positioned leaders to make a decision and move forward earlier than others."
For the early adopters of the coordinated care model, the Pioneer ACO program offers the 32 collaboratives an adjusted Shared Savings for higher payments, while they assume higher risk.
Unlike the Shared Savings Program, starting in year three of the initiative, those organizations that have earned savings during the first two years will be eligible to move to a population-based payment arrangement and full risk-arrangement that can continue through an optional fourth and fifth year.
- Atrius Health Services - Eastern and Central Massachusetts
- Beacon Health - Central, Eastern and Northern Maine
- Beth Israel Deaconess Physician Organization - Eastern Massachusetts
- Dartmouth-Hitchcock ACO - New Hampshire and Eastern Vermont
- Montefiore ACO - New York City and lower Westchester County
- Mount Auburn Cambridge Independent Practice Association - Eastern Massachusetts
- Partners Healthcare - Eastern Massachusetts
- Renaissance Medical Management Company - Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Steward Health Care System - Eastern Massachusetts
- JSA Medical Group, a division of HealthCare Partners - Orlando, Tampa Bay and surrounding South Florida
- Plus, Tarrant - Johnson and Parker counties in North Texas
- Seton Health Alliance - Center Texas
- Allina Hospitals & Clinics - Minnesota and Western Wisconsin
- Bellin-Thedacare Healthcare Partners - Northeast Wisconsin
- Fairview Health Systems - Minneapolis, Minn., metropolitan area
- Franciscan Alliance - Indianapolis and Central Indiana
- Genesys PHO - Southeastern Michigan
- Michigan Pioneer ACO - Southeastern Michigan
- OSF Healthcare System - Central Illinois
- Park Nicollet Health Services - Minneapolis, Minn., metropolitan area
- Trinity Pioneer ACO - Northwest Central Iowa
- University of Michigan - Southeastern Michigan
- Banner Health Network - Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area
- Brown & Toland Physicians - San Francisco Bay Area, Calif.
- Healthcare Partners Medical Group - Los Angeles and Orange Counties, Calif.
- Healthcare Partners of Nevada - Clark and Ny Counties, Nev.
- Heritage California ACO, Southern - Central and coastal California
- Monarch Healthcare - Orange County, Calif.
- Physician Health Partners - Denver, Colo., metropolitan area
- Presbyterian Healthcare Services - Central New Mexico Pioneer
- Primecare Medical Network - Southern California
- Sharp Healthcare System - San Diego County