Allen Wise - Coventry Health Care (NYSE: CVH)
Total 2009 Compensation: $17,427,789
- Base salary of $584,243
- Signing bonus of $2,750,000
- Stock awards of $4,296,000
- Option awards of $7,225,500
- Non-equity incentive plan compensation worth $2,500,000
- "Other compensation" including company matching contributions for a 401(k) restore plan and company match retirement savings valued at $72,046
Wise, who took over after former CEO Dale Wolf stepped down in January 2009, is the first of two new CEOs to appear on our list. His 2009 compensation package, worth $17.4 million, accounted for a whopping 7 percent of his company's $242.3 million net income, as reported in the company's 2009 annual report.
Stock and option awards alone accounted for 66 percent of Wise's 2009 compensation, while another $5.25 million was given out due to performance and signing bonus plans.